Community Buildings--Hakalau Upper Camp
For the resident of Hakalau Upper Camp, there was easy access to shopping, entertainment, exercise facilities, social halls or clubhouses, educational and religious facilities. Technically, Hakalau Upper Camp included everything above Mamalahoa Highway (now known as Old Mamalahoa Highway). However, since the camp map below shows some community buildings directly across from "Up Camp" and considered to be part of "Down Camp", these are also included in the pictures below.
The Old Store is Replaced
From 1928-1961 the "old" Hakalau Post Office was adjacent to the new Hakalau Store. It opened circa January 1928 and served the community for 33 years before being moved to the former Hakalau Theater. The building with the old Hakalau Post Office and the Hakalau Store was torn down sometime between 1967 and 1974.
The New Store Opens
Ads for movies and performances in 1940 and 1946 provide a glimpse of the entertainment enjoyed by those living in Hakalau. All ads are from the Hawaii Tribune Herald, accessed via Newspapers.com.
The Hakalau Theater became the "new" Hakalau Post Office on December 3, 1961. At 600 square feet, it was nearly 3 times the size of the "old" post office adjacent to the Hakalau Store.
Pool Hall and Old Hakalau Theater
Mona Ross, daughter of the Hakalau Store Manager, born in Hakalau circa 1918 and lived there until about 1935, provides insight into Hakalau society at that time:
Hakalau Personnel Office, ILWU Union Hall, Japanese Language School, Aikido Hall
This building housed different functions during different periods, including Hakalau Personnel Office/ILWU Union Hall, Japanese Language School, Aikido Hall (Building # 38) - Built 1927, Demolished late 1984 or 1985. By late 1984, the building was no longer used and was no longer fumigated for termites. Termite damage was so severe the structure was no longer safe. Per Rev. Tamura (1979-1996)