Hakalau School in 1940. Photo courtesy of Emi Uemura
About 1864, the first school in Hakalau was started in a house that was located not on its present site, but down on an island in the Hakalau Gulch. It would have been above the abandoned Hakalau Sugar Mill site. According to some reports, the teacher was Mr. Kalawaia who taught nineteen students. The last teacher there was Mrs. Benjamin B. Macy.
The school was moved across the gulch on the Kamae side, probably because the teacher of the boys and girls got tired of having to swim across to school often, for there were many rainy days and the gulches were often flooded.