The Camp Maps
Click maps to enlarge
Hakalau Community Buildings
Click photo to view all community buildings
< Click here for Occupant Name List for all houses in this camp (early 1960's)
- Timeline >
Camps in 1950s
- Hakalau School >
- John M. Ross School
- Hakalau Jodo Mission >
- Honohina Hongwanji
- Hangouts and Memories >
- The Ross Families of Hakalau
- The Work: Cultivating, Harvesting, Milling and Transportation >
- The Voice of Hakalau (Newspaper)
- The Railroad >
- Tsunami of April 1, 1946
Hakalau Upper Camp
Location: It was close to the Hakalau mill, which was beside Hakalau Bay in the gulch below. It was also adjacent to a number of buildings related to sugar production and directly above Hakalau Lower Camp and Mamalahoa Hwy.
Camp size: About 60 dwellings and numerous community buildings to support the entire plantation community.
Time period: The three maps reflect different periods: 1947, the 1920's-30's, and about 1914. House photos date to the early '50s although homes were built from 1898 to 1946. Occupant list dates to the early ‘60s.
Also called “Up Camp” it included the manager’s home and houses for most of the supervisors. Other buildings to support the entire plantation community included a gym, a theater, a pool hall, a social clubhouse, a Jodo Mission, personnel office, Japanese language school and Aikido Hall, a pool hall or Filipino Club House.