After the 1946 Tsunami, the railroad was shut down. Highway bridges replaced the railroad bridges over Hakalau and Kolekole Gulches.
The Kolekole Bridge opened in December 1950
For the Kolekole Bridge, which opened as a highway bridge in December 1950, 350 tons of steel salvaged from the Wailuku River bridge in Hilo and other railroad bridges no longer in use were used, greatly reducing construction costs. An additional 75 tons of new steel was also used.
Photos from the Jack Ouye Collection, courtesy of Akiko Masuda.
The Hakalau Bridge opened in 1953.
The Hakalau Bridge was 210 feet high and 1,000 feet long. General Contractor for the reconstruction job was James W. Glover, Ltd. The newly rebuilt bridge was painted by painting contractor K. Morishige of Honolulu using Dutch Boy red lead and Dutch Boy black paint.
The pedestrian bridge over the Hawaii Belt Highway was built in 1961 or 1962.
Hawaii Belt Highway Pedestrian overpass, built in 1961 or 1962. Front row, far right: Rev. Mamiya; far left: Jack Ouye. The building in the background on the right is the Hakalau Christian Church, a satellite of the Honomu Christian Church. Photo from the Jack Ouye collection, courtesy of Akiko Masuda.