After the 1946 Tsunami, the railroad was shut down. Highway bridges replaced the railroad bridges over Hakalau and Kolekole Gulches.
The Kolekole Bridge opened to traffic on May 25, 1951
The Hakalau Bridge opened April 17, 1953.
Photos from the Jack Ouye Collection, courtesy of Akiko Masuda.
The Hakalau Bridge was 210 feet high and 1,000 feet long. General Contractor for the reconstruction job was James W. Glover, Ltd. The newly rebuilt bridge was painted by painting contractor K. Morishige of Honolulu using Dutch Boy red lead and Dutch Boy black paint.